The Cactus Garden
The Cactus Garden and Greenhouse are in a little-known area of the Garden, tucked away at the end of the parking lot by the Japanese Garden. In 1935 the original Cactus Garden was established at Rock Springs Park. The Cactus Garden was recreated in 1995 in a cooperative effort with the Fort Worth Cactus and Succulent Society (FWCCS) to bring cactus from different Texas counties to Fort Worth with the specimens being selected and planted by the FWCCS. Their recent concentration has been on cactus that will grow in North Central Texas.
The Garden has an extensive collection of Texas native cacti and succulents, and includes some species native to both North and South America. The Texas native cacti include: claret cups, Echinocereus coccinues; Texas lace hedgehog cactus, Echinocereus reichenbachii; golden barrel, Echinocactus grusonii.
The succulent family is represented by several agaves including the New Mexico century plant, Agave neomexicana, and artichoke agave, Agave Parryi var. truncate. There is also a thompsons yucca, Yucca thomposiana, and a large ocotillo, Fouquiria splendens, standing over the entrance to the Garden.
A special soil mixture was developed to provide adequate drainage during our wet, cold winter months and our occasional summer frog-stranglin' gully washers. It consists of crushed brick, carpenter's sand and decomposed granite among other things.
Along with the native plantings, there is a greenhouse that houses a large collection of rare and nearly extinct plants.
This Garden and its greenhouse is a labor of love for the FWCCS. Its members dig up the cold-sensitive specimens and store them through the winter in the Garden's greenhouse, then replant them in the spring when most danger of frost is gone. Many of these are columnar-shaped cacti that are over four feet tall.
Since 2015 the FWCCS has been working toward a complete renovation of the Cactus Garden.