Victor and Cleyone Tinsley Garden at Rock Springs
Rock Springs is the oldest of all the gardens in the Botanic Garden. Construction started in 1929, 17 years after the City of Fort Worth purchased approximately 37.5 acres of land along the Trinity River. The City Forester, Raymond C. Morrison, headed the construction of Rock Springs and channeled the 3 natural springs into streams, ponds and waterfalls. Palo Pinto Sandstone was used to create trails along the rivulets and ponds, construction was completed in 1933 and the park was rededicated as the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. The building of Interstate 30 in the 1950's compressed the natural springs that gave the garden its name, and water was pumped from the Trinity River to try to revive the area.
By the mid-2000's, Rock Springs was showing signs of age. After John Tinsley bequeathed his estate for the restoration and cultivation of a garden in memory of his parents, Victor and Cleyone Tinsley, Rock Springs was selected for the site. In 2013 construction began to improve the garden and restore the pools and walkways. Planting the native plants and habitat enjoyed by Native Americans and early settlers as they camped by the spring would complete the restoration of the garden.
Help us restore the native plants and trees at Rock Springs donate today.